Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Untitled

She kept Rihanna’s “Te Amo” on repeat that day because she liked the way the pain of the song mirrored hers.
She quietly recalled how she never thought she would feel this way
And then the moment came and they sat together in the same space
He stared at the floor
She looked to the ceiling
Heart beating
Mind racing
Tears threatening
As she tried to organize her thoughts
Didn’t want to say the wrong thing
Or relay the wrong message
Her lips parted and before she could stop them
The words came
“I think I love you.”
It happened too fast
It was too late to do anything about it
And she didn’t want to anyway
So she just continued
The words came fast, now.
“I’m sorry. To complicate things. But would that make a difference? I think I love you.”
Her eyes landed on him, that look that makes him say, “please don’t look at me like that…”
But he didn’t say it this time
His eyes meet hers and they promise a lifetime of everything she’s ever wished and hoped and dreamed
Silence
His arms find her
She sinks into his heartbeat
His lips touch her forehead and pause
He holds her forever
And it’s over before it ever had a chance to begin

*This is not exactly how it happened. I never said those words. I said other things. But now I'm not sure I shouldn't have said it. Today I wonder if it would have changed the ending. It might have been the one thing that could have saved Us.

No comments: